On almost a weekly basis, I am asked how I have so much time and money to travel as frequently as I do.
In all honesty, I do not spend a massive amount of money traveling, and although I am currently a full-time graduate student and holding down a couple of part-time jobs, I have been able to travel frequently because I am in the education field, which means that I have quite a number of days off during the year when the kids are out of school. Additionally, the part-time jobs that I currently have allow me the flexibility to travel on my own schedule.
Although most of my trips tend to be 5 days or more, I have taken an occasional long-weekend trip from New York to cities like Austin, Texas, New Orleans, Louisiana, and Syracuse, New York. Sometimes, I even enjoy doing staycations right in New York City, where I take a day or two to play tourist in my town and rediscover my city.
My current situation is quite unique, and I realize that most people do not work in education, do not have jobs where they can be flexible with the time that they take off, or simply have obligations that do not allow them to travel for extended periods of time, which means that short weekend getaways or mini-vacations are the only options that the majority of people have.
This weekend getaways list below was created by travel bloggers around the world for people who are only able to travel part-time. It provides suggestions and inspiration for taking enjoyable trips within a short time frame.
- Puerto Galera: Mark and Camille of 365 Travel Dates share their weekend getaway adventure to Coco Beach Island Resort in Puerto Galera in the Philipiines.
Australia: New South Wales
- Sydney: Jen of The Trusted Traveller shares her tips for Long Weekend Travel: 5 Easy Trips from Sydney
Canada: British Columbia
- Vancouver: Helen from Not Without My Passport shares her tips on what to do with 48 Hours in Vancouver, BC.
- Heidelberg: Menorca of Europe Diaries wrote a guest post on Norway to Nowhere with tips in a Weekend Getaway: A Guide to Heidelberg, Germany
- Mykonos: Nadeen of The Sophisticated Life wrote a detailed post on things to do and see during 48 Hours in Mykonos.
- Budapest: Amanda of A Dangerous Business shares her tips on how to spend 48 Hours in Budapest.
USA: The Midwest
- Cincinnati, Ohio: Christina of My View from the Middle Seat shares her adventure of 48 Hours Eating Our Way Through Cincinnati.
USA: The Northeast
- Great Barrington, Massachusetts: Linda of Tripping Blonde wrote an excellent post on Great Barrington, MA: A Winter Weekend Getaway to the Berkshires.
- Niagara Falls, New York: Amanda of A Dangerous Business shares her tips on how to do A Weekend Getaway to Niagara Falls.
USA: The Northwest
- Portland, Oregon: Ashley and Alex of In Pursuit of Adventure share their tips on 48 Hours of Eating Our Way Through Portland.
- Seattle, Washington: Domonique of The Simple Proof shares her guide on what to do during 2 Days in Seattle
USA: The Southeast
- Charleston, South Carolina: Ashley from Mommy Week shares 5 Reasons she and her family love Charleston, South Carolina.
- Chattanooga, Tennessee: Ashley from Mommy Week shares her tips for enjoying a fabulous weekend with her family at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Lafayette, Louisiana: Apryl of Southern Hospitality Magazine shares her recommendations in the article 10 Reasons to Visit Lafayette, Louisiana
- Lake Charles, Louisiana: Apryl of Southern Hospitality Magazine shares her tips for the perfect Weekend Getaway to Lake Charles, Louisiana.
- Nashville, Tennessee: Ashley and Alex of In Pursuit of Adventure share their tips on what to do during 12 Hours in Nashville: A City Guide to Rock Nashville in Just One Night.
- Richmond, Virginia: Christina of My View from the Middle Seat shares her adventure exploring Richmond, Virginia: 48 Hours in the Southern Capital.
USA: The Southwest
- La Jolla Shores, California: Megan of Traveling Nine to Fiver writes about her experience during a Weekend in La Jolla Shores.
- Manhattan Beach, California: Megan of Traveling Nine to Fiver writes about how to do An Easy Weekend Getaway in Manhattan Beach.
- Napa Valley, California: Domonique of The Simple Proof shares her guide on what to do during 2 Days in Napa Valley
- Grapevine, Texas: Mary of Calculated Traveller shares her experience painting with wine during a getaway to Grapevine, Texas
Want to read more? Make sure to check out the previous Jetsetter Roundups featuring articles from travel bloggers around the world!